Re: [Harp-L] custom harmonica patents

Brad Harrison writes:

"We are also getting very close to coming out with our own reeds produced here in our shop. We believe this new design and reeds will launch the harmonica into the 21st Century! Jason Ricci along with a very few select Top Pro players will also attest to this."

Having made reeds and small-shop reed-making machines, I have the following comments.

1. If you can make whole sets of reasonably-priced reeds from stock metal, my hat will be off to you. Holding .0001" tolerances on tiny parts like reeds isn't easy!

2. IF you expect the reeds to have perceptibly better sound, I think that you will be disappointed. If you use a reasonably good spring metal, and the reeds have about the same stiffness/response to which players have become accustomed, they won't sound any different from those of the big manufacturers. The variation of the flow area as the reed swings through the slot produces the characteristic harmonica sound and that is the same for all materials. The sound of Hering reeds (a little less stiff, more responsive, and a little less loud) and the sound of Hohner reeds pretty much covers the available range. The sound does not come from the reed as from a bell so the material isn't going to have any perceptible effect on tone. Pluck a reed and that's your bell tone. The thickness profile of the reed can affect stiffness and response.

3. If you can use stainless or plated steel you might produce reeds less subject to fatigue. That would be a good thing even though they will have no distinguishing tone.

Vern