[Harp-L] patents

After getting a bit more information, I thought I'd give a slightly more in-depth response to the following.

Brad Harrison wrote:

" One will not see any Patent numbers associated with my name as of yet. This is because the USPO is backed up 24 to 36 months. This however does not mean that the Patent has not been filed with the USPO. It simply means it is in Patent Pending status, which offers the same protection as a Patent. "

Actually, it offers no protection. See this site:

http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac/doc/general/patpend.htm

The key statement would seem to be "[t]hese phrases have no legal effect".

"This is why you will see written on many products on retail shelves Harmonicas or other products "Patent Pending" Once you are in the Patent Pending Process one can market, sell and advertise ones product with the full protection of a Patent."

Again, see the above website. And it certainly doesn't allow for the claims that the item is already patented. It just means an application has been filed.

As I said, I wish you best of luck with the patent, and if it is granted hope that you will share that information with the list. However, it does seem important to clear up the difference between "patent pending" and "patented", as the two are quite different.

 ()()    JR "Bulldogge" Ross
()  ()
`----'