Re: [Harp-L] Custom Harmonicas - Worth It?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Wolf Kristiansen" <wolfkristiansen@xxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2008 9:54 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] Custom Harmonicas - Worth It?

I would love to have customized harmonicas.  However,
I assume the reeds get fatigued at the the same rate
as those in stock harmonicas. I replace my harmonicas
regularly, after extending each harmonica's life
somewhat by filing a reed when it first goes flat.
Eventually, as we all know, that reed is gone forever.

I think that as a hard player troubled with reed failures, you would be a good tester for Seydel stainless steel reeds. It seems likely to me that SS reeds would not fatigue as quickly as copper-alloy reeds do....maybe not at all. You could report your experience to us.

IMO, Seydel has addressed the problem and deserves the applause and support of harp players for their initiative.

Vern
Visit my harmonica website www.Hands-Free-Chromatic.7p.com

I'm not well off.  I can't justify buying expensive
customized harmonicas that I will eventually throw
away. I'm too frugal. (I assume they eventually get
thrown away, like stock harmonicas). Are the
customized harmonica users richer than the rest of us?
Am I missing something?

Some of you, if you respond to this topic, will be
tempted to talk about changing one's playing style to
lengthen the life of the harmonica.  That's fine, but
my musical/bluesical style over the last 30 years has
incorporated plenty of hard blowing and drawing, and I
would rather keep that style than change it to save
money.

No disrespect is intended to the excellent customizers
out there; it's great you're doing it and great
there's a market for your work.

Cheers,

Wolf Kristiansen

__________________________________________________________________ Looking for the perfect gift? Give the gift of Flickr!