From: gary <garybond@xxxxxxx>
Cc: Harp-L List <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2008 3:36:57 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Fatigue and reed life

I work in the lumber industry as a saw filer. We run band saws that are
highly susceptible to cracks. When ever  I see a deep scratch running
out through a gullet on a bandsaw we see a potential crack. Running
bandsaws over a wheel and moving harmonica reeds face the same stresses.
I remember buying a Hohner MS harp and having a reed die in it almost
right away. When I opened it up I saw a deep tunning scratch running out
to the edge I was pretty hot under the collar. Tuning like that is
totally unacceptable and it should have been considered a manufacturers
defect.