[Harp-L] Custom Harmonicas-----Is it worth it?

Time for an Australian two cents worth. I've long been a user of Neil Graham custom instruments (www.neilgraham.com.au). They provide enormous presence in acoustic sessions, and are much easier to negotiate in fast tunes, as they leak far less than off the shelf instruments. In particular, they shine when recording, partly due to the range of tonal variation which they allow. I play Neil's deluxe models, which are based on Hohner Meisterklasse plates.

A great memory for me was SPAH 2005, where I handed many unsuspecting players one of Neil's instruments, and invited them to play it. The response was almost uniform amazement.

Other players of custom instruments report similar experiences on this list. For those wavering, my recommendation is to just go ahead and get one.

Tony Eyers
Australia
www.harmonicatunes.com