Re: [Harp-L] Neumann TLM 103 vs Rode K2 mics for recording

Hi Winslow -

I haven't (yet) tried either of these mics, but I've been delighted with my Rhode NTV, which was an earlier model tube mic (now discontinued) -- I think I bought it around 6 years ago for around $1000. With the heavy competition in this area in recent years, I would be surprised if the K2 were not an even better sounding mic. The NTV compares well with the AKG "The Tube" mic which I used to rent for all our important recording sessions in the 1980's. To my ears, the NTV delivers the same warmth and clarity at a fraction of the cost.

The NTV was used for all the harmonica and vocals on my website (and cd) if that is any help (one way or the other)...

- Slim.

www.SlideManSlim.com

Winslow Yerxa wrote:
I'm thinking about upgrading my home recording capabilities and am wondering whether anyone here has experience with these two mics and
can comment on them.

I'm looking at the Neumann TLM 103 and the Rode K2 for recording acoustic sounds (including, of course, harmonica).

Both are large-diaphragm condensor mics with supposedly uncolored, clear sound. Both have fairly even frequency response. Both have rave magazine reviews, in addition to people who both love and hate them on various recording forums.

The transformerless TLM 103 is a sort of lower-priced cousin to the venerable Neumann U87 and U47 models, and has a cardioid pattern. It gets points for ability to handle very loud sounds.

The Rode K2 is a tube mic (the tube is installed in the mic, which supposedly can warm the sound with the right tube, and there is an aftermarket for fairly pricy tubes). I've really liked the rich sound when I've had the opportunity to work with tube mics in th past. It has a dedicated power supply and selectable cardioid, figure 8, and omni pickup patterns.

Any comments from those who have actual experience with these mics?