Re: [Harp-L] RE: Fatigue and Reed Life: An Objective Test?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Coble" <robertpcoble@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, April 19, 2008 10:18 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] RE: Fatigue and Reed Life: An Objective Test?

We are certainly in complete agreement about the test design for evaluating the fatigue properties of reed materials.

I am unable to resist a comment on the following:

..................... Take a good look at the Web site that Dave posted:
http://www.seydel1847.de/epages/Seydel.sf/en_GB/?ObjectID=211764
If that doesn't "prove" the existence of very sophisticated engineering
test facilities, then I don't know what would. Those types of tests are NOT
performed by Joe Sixpack in his garage, ...........

In the past, that statement would have been true. However, today Joe needs only a PC, and a $50 downloadable software package such as "Spectrogram". Joe just plays a constant pitch and level into his PC for several seconds and the fourier-analysis software produces a spectrogram.

In '97, I made PC-computed spectrograms of machine-played diatonics having various comb materials. I found that the reed-to-reed spectrogram variations in nominally identical harps were as different as the spectrograms of harps having different comb materials. It made me very cautious about drawing conclusions from differences in sample-of-one spectrograms.

I am inclined to believe that SS would be more resistant to fatigue because there are data on metal properties that support the claim. That said, there are many alloys that are called SS and they have a large range of property values.

I am much more skeptical of claims to superior SS tone. The characteristic sound of a harmonica does not emanate from the reed as from a bell. It is generated by the modulation of the airflow as the moving reed opens and closes the slot and changes the flow area. This is a function of reed shape, slot shape, frequency & amplitude of vibration. Assuming that these variables are the same, no one has elucidated a mechanism that would account for a difference in tone arising from reed material.

What are the differences in repeated spectrograms of the same reed?
What are the differences in spectrograms of different but "identical" reeds?
What are the differences in averaged data of multiple reeds of each type?
Can human hearing perceive the differences seen on the sprctrograms?

Thus far, I haven't seen convincing test data or a theory that supports different SS tone. I have a 270 chromatic in which there is just one SS reed. So far, no one has been able to identify it by playing or listening to the harp. Since human perception is involved, a "blind" comparison is required.

Vern
Visit my harmonica website www.Hands-Free-Chromatic.7p.com