Re: [Harp-L] RE: Fatigue and Reed Life: An Objective Test?

On Apr 19, 2008, at 5:05 PM, Vern Smith wrote:
I have a 270 chromatic in which there is just one SS reed.

BUT, did you TELL anyone there was a ss reed in there.?

So far, no one has been able to identify it by playing or listening to the harp.

BUT, were they LISTENING for the reed. I know that if you were playing a harmonica around me, I wouldn't need to pay as much attention if I 'thought' all the reeds were the same. It's like listening to firecrackers or gunshots off in the distance. If you want to hear gunshots, that's what you will hear. If you want to hear firecrackers, that's what you will hear. But if someone tells you BEFOREHAND that they want you to discern as to which was which, it could change the results.

Since human perception is involved, a "blind" comparison is required.

I say take the human element out of the equation. The accordions I have worked on had tapered steel reeds. They were wider at the rivet ends. AND had dual rivets. But an accordion has a high capacity AND a pressure relief valve.

The Whurlitzer organ that I worked on had NON tapered brass reeds, BUT not only did they get shorter as the pitch went up, they also got THINNER in width. Since the volume of air was controlled, little chance of a failure.

Since all harmonica reed slots in a given harmonica (until lately) have been the same width, I think that changing widths could have an effect. For one thing the reeds wouldn't have to be so thin as foil. I see this nowadays in the very highest reeds.

I believe that the #4 draw on a D harp (the E) goes out because it is in that grey transitional area where it is just thick enough to do the job. If the slot and reed were narrowed, and the reed thickened, I think it would be PAST the danger area.

Also, I find it interesting that while Hohner made brass reeds for all it's harmonicas AND accordions, no matter HOW expensive they might be, they chose SS for Harmonetas. I realize that the 'Harmie' was an (comparatively) expensive instrument, but what about the Meisterklasse or better yet the Silver Concerto. That's why I have always said (and got a lot of heat FOR it), that the harmonica is a comsummable instrument. It may just be the world's first throw away item.

Only way to get a lasting harp? Make it yourself.

smo-joe

Vern Visit my harmonica website www.Hands-Free-Chromatic.7p.com