Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Rack players/Now Marv Munroe

Martin:

Marv Monroe has been a fixture at every one of the eight (8) Conventions
I've attended so far...

He's the 'roving' troubador, with his guitar and self-constructed harp  rack.
 He has both XB-40's set up side-by-side in his rack which seems to  be
changed and tweaked (and updated) every time I see him, and conducts most of  the
play-alongs for the majority of the chromatic players at the  Conventions.
Sings, too, and knows just about every song there is to  know...especially what
will work for play-alongs. His brother Roger  plays harp and guitar as well and
is usually at his side.  Roger was  under the weather this year so didn't
arrive until pretty much the last day...it  just wasn't the same without these two
guys teasing and kidding with all  the ladies and getting the party started
in their usual inimitable way.

Marv's won what I believe to be the Bernie Bray award as the  person of the
year who promotes the idea of the 'preservation and advancement'  of the
Harmonica, and is SO beloved by those attending the Conventions.  I  don't know what
we'd do without him and Roger.

At this past Buckeye, for instance...he was supposed to be seated  beside me
for the Sat. night banquet (I was quite looking forward to that  since he's
always a lot of fun)...but missed the entire sit-down dinner...ending  up eating
on the run due to spending most of his time working on  ironing out issues
with the crackling coming from the sound system  (something had been dropped,
causing a problem).  He didn't sit down  for ages.  Marv's a really good guy,
also doing videotaping of many of the  major performances...and always there to
organize and handle the set up for the  mics and the sound for Open Stage/Open
Mics.

I've spent some time now checking through older issues of my  Harmonica
Happenings to see if I could find a good photo of him and his rack  system...only
to finally find the best shot in a very recent  issue - last year's SPAH 2007
coverage  (issued in Fall, 2007, Vol.  41, No. 4).  He's in the centerfold,
halfway up the lefthand page  wearing a beige SPAH baseball cap, with a great
closeup colour photo of his  rack.  I have no functioning scanner or would send
it to  you, but perhaps someone else here could, or someone from SPAH might
forward it  on?

Incidentally..that's also him at the bottom of the other side of the
centerfold ...the bottom photo of 4 men...he and his brother Roger are wearing  white
polo shirts with two other guys I believe to be the Sgro brothers.

Regards,

Elizabeth

Message: 7