[Harp-L] general info for consumers and transparency/quality in the harmonica industry

NOT HARMONICA RELATED

I don't know if it helps much, but you can do a little background and research on whom your buying from here:
http://www.coopamerica.org/programs/rs/

This online directory is mostly "green" businesses in the U.S., but many are also "fair trade" (a label which is supposed to guarantee that workers are treated humanely and given a fair living wage):
http://www.coopamerica.org/pubs/greenpages/

HARMONICA-RELATED
It's very much an uphill battle when trying to find out such information and trying to make purchases in a way that at minimum does no harm. I think there's a pretty strong trend for more corporate transparency and responsibility, but it depends on continued pressure from consumers. So, if interested, ask your music store what they know about the harmonicas you buy or call/write the manufacturer. Even if only a few people inquire, if a company is doing something shadey and they know it has a chance of becoming public knowledge (which will result in loss of profits) than they're more likely to operate on the level.

Consumers and activists groups have had success on companies as large as Nike pertaining to sweatshops and such--I don't see why the same wouldn't apply to harmonica manufacturers. Could be that they continue to manufacture in China or elsewhere, but that they start checking in on the working conditions a bit more or they do better quality assurance checks. You never know!

-marc

The RP Muse Blog ~ Highlighting local arts & culture. Submissions welcomed.
http://therpmuse.blogspot.com