Re: [Harp-L] To be Heard... In a rock band

A few years ago I was fronting a loud blues/rock band and the only
solution that worked for me was a loud amp dedicated to the harp.  My
rig was a POD XT Pro and Mesa Boogie 20/20 power amp in a rack case,
on top of a 4x12 cab loaded with Celestions.  It was very loud and
quite clean, and feedback was less of an issue than you might think.
The POD allowed me to get a variety of cool tones, and everything was
stereo.

Magic Dick of the J. Geils Band used various loud rigs, including two
Fender Twin Reverbs.

In a loud band it is going to be hard to get the harp to sound right
(to my ear anyway) by using the same mic and channel you are using for
vocals.  I would prefer to have different sound paths for each signal:
the PA for voice and the amp for harp.

I no longer play in bands that loud, and my tastes have diverted more
toward old tube amps with their lovely natural compression and crunch.
 But I still keep that monster rig around just for fun...

-Rick Davis
the Blues Harp Amps blog:  http://www.bluesharpamps.blogspot.com/