[Harp-L] mandolin

I have been playing mando around 5 years.  I started with a Fender A model, retail around $300, I got it from a friend for $100.  Now I play a Collings A model which I bought froma store for $1700.  I have played many friend's mandos and almost always like mine better.  Whenever I do  like someone else's better than mine, I sometimes ask how much they paid.  Invariably, it is $8000 or higher.  So what I am saying is that until you spend $8000, Collings makes a greater value instrument.

  However, I would suggest starting with a $100 to $700 starter and seeing if you like it.  LIke harp, mando is at once easy to play, difficult to master.  Liking it is the key.
  Michael Rubin
  Michaelrubinharmonica.com