Re: [Harp-L] was SPAH in Sacto?, now snakes, harps and an Elk RIver childhood

Pretty interesting, Dave.

We had a guy down on Tamiami Trail who bought snakes and other wildlife we
used to sell him stuff.  But we did go after the vipers and other poisonous
critters.  He paid good.  $100 for a rattler, $75 for a cottonmouth or water
moccasin.  He kept asking us to get him some coral snakes but they were too
tough to catch and too deadly.  We stayed away from them.  $200 for Indigo's
(not poisonous) cuz they were pretty rare.  And depending on the type $50 or
up for scorpions and tarantulas.  Jones Zoo, the place was called.  He had a
snake pit full of all kinds of pisonous snakes and he would walk around in
there. Bill Haast and him were buddies, I think.  The Miami serpentarium
would get their venom and make anti-venom from his snakes.  It's a dam good
thing for me too cuz I got bit by a pygmy rattler in the palm of my hand in
1968 and got 5 vials of the anti-venom and it saved my arm.

And I remember those Blues Harps.  When they first came out they were a darn
good harp.  I got a full set of 12.  Now that I think about it, they cost
alot more than Marine Band and probably weren't really any better, just had
different covers.  I might still have one or two out of that set.  Up till
then I played mostly Marine Band and Old Standby.  They were pretty good
too.  Then Nixon came along and the tarrifs made the price jump to $2.75 for
MBs, IIRC.  I started buying up the old stock of Old Standby's at this music
shop downtown.  They had the dusty-est upstairs you ever saw.  Worse than
grandmaws attic.  But he had alot of cool old stuff up there from WWII days
and earlier.  And all marked with prices from that same era.  Shoemaker's, I
just remembered the name.  Shoemaker's Music.  Like a time machine in there.

You had the Elk river.  We had the Everglades, the River of Grass.  And a
rainy season June thru July when the lawns grew real high.  I got $10 to mow
a lawn back then and was saving up to buy a go-cart when Cassius Clay was
scheduled to fight Sonny Liston.  My Dad told me that he knew where we could
get $12 to 1 bettin on this Clay fellow and I put $10 into the family pot.
I got my go-cart!  And now, come to think of it, I probably got my first
really good guitar because of that Clay-Liston fight.  My dad got me a Dove
guitar for my birthday that year.

I didn't start playing harmonica till a year or two later.

And nobody ever told me that catching snakes was poaching.  We knew that
gators and wild hogs were, but they taste too good not to get one every now
and then.

Sounds like we have similar stories.  I think I drove everybody crazy
playing Train-Time after Wheels of Fire came out.  And I still don't have
that special vibratto down like Alan Wilson used to do on that first Canned
Heat album.  How the heck did he do that?

What good is a dream if it doesn't come true?
PEACE
Scott
Believe in Magic!