[Harp-L] 8" speaker lust.....

I had the pleasure of doing a bit of consulting with a boutique amp
builder here in Austin named John Grammatico.  We tried various
combinations of preamps and speaker boxes.  A revelation was playing
through a 4x8 speaker cabinet of his loaded with Celestions.  I was
absolutely floored at the sound, particularly as it applied to a regular
gig I have with a high-powered and aptly-named blues/rock project called
the Thunder Chiefs (www.myspace.com/thunderchiefs).  I could tell
immediately that the tone I was getting through that 4x8 would sit *very*
well in a mix dominated by a wall of Gibson/Marshall mayhem.  The voicing
of those speakers, while not as sweet as what I can get through my own
amps, simply wouldn't get buried in a high tide of guitar testosterone
like the 10 or 12 inch speakers I normally play through.  It sounds to me
like the voicing of the 8s would tend to ride on top of the guitar instead
of competing head-to-head with it.  Hmmmmmmmmm..........

In Googling and searching e-bay for 8 inch speaker enclosures I came up
with a big zero.  Does anyone on this list know of a source for 2x8 or 4x8
enclosures? Recommendations for harp-friendly 8 inch speakers? Any
personal observations on using 8s in this kind of high voltage/decibel
environment?

Thanks,

Ed

Ed Kliman
Publisher
Texas Music Forge

"Written, musical and electronic communications for a changing world..."