Re: [Harp-L] 8" speakers

A few years ago I bought a used 4x8 bass cab (it said "Madison" on the
front).  It was closed back with a horizontal port slot along the bottom of
the front.  Even after installing good speakers (Weber Sig) I still did not
really like the tone.  I eventually gave up on it.

(Note:  I've worked with other closed back cabs I liked, so that was not the
issue.  The tuned port, however, may have been a problem.  But I covered it
and still did not like the tone.)

There is something about 10 inch speakers for blues harp.  They have that
edge... a slight rasp on attack and decay without being ratty, yet they have
a fullness I like.  Eights just don't do it for me.  Bigger speakers
sometimes sound muddy, which is not necessarily a bad thing in all musical
contexts.

My Fender silver face Champ has been upgraded with a Weber 10-inch Vintage
alnico speaker.  My Masco drives through a 2x10 cab.  The best harp tone
I've ever heard has been through four 10-inch speakers.  To me, they just
sound right.

-Rick Davis
The Blues Harp Amps Blog
http://www.bluesharpamps.blogspot.com/