[Harp-L] SPAH report long

Thanks to the listmembers who complimented my playing and teaching in
their SPAH reports.

First off I want to say how great SPAH was and how worth it it was for
me.  I learned a lot, had a lot of fun and made friends and remet old
friends.  I seems to me SPAH is in need of new members.  We had lots
of people there (someone said 400?) but many will pass away soon.  I
estimate a trip to SPAH including sharing a room, airfare, food,
alcohol and toys would cost around $1300.  Is it worth it? Without
question, yes!  Start saving now and join the fun, we need your
attendance.

I want to thank Tom Stryker, Paul Davies, Joe Filisko and LJ Atkinson
for calling me to teach and perform and their administrative work on
the whole convention.  Great job!

For me the musical revelations were Rodrigo, RJ Mischo, Jay Blount
(sp?) and Willi Burger.  This is not to say I wasn't blown away by the
music of almost everyone there, it is more to say I wasn't really
aware of these people before and I really enjoyed them.
On the continued awareness side, Mojo Red really showed us what he
could do this year!

I enjoyed teaching my seminars and prejams and playing my performances
and jams.  I want to thank the participators, your presence is the
reason it all works.

I especially want to thank anybody who grabbed me in the hall to talk
harp.  I enjoy teaching and without your attention my thoughts go
nowhere.

I want to thank all of my teachers, both who gave direct lessons and
those who performed or influenced me by their actions on and off the
harp.

My highlights included:

RJ calling up a ST Louis player (Name?) to sit in at the blowoff.

Playing bass harp with Jason Ricci on chord and various lead players.

Practicing and performing Little Darlin' led by Michael Peloquin and
including Bonfiglio, Galison, Yerxa, Heilpern, Leone, Polesky, Stryker
and a couple of other top players all reading a beautiful chart and
backed by a band.  At one point I had a 16 bar rest and was able to
really listen to the sound.  WOW!  Does anyone have a video we could
get on Youtube?

Studying under Peloquin during Joe's teachin.  He definitely
understands horn lines and timing on a deeper level than I do, perhaps
I'll take some private lessons one day.

Jimi Lee backing up EVERYBODY and doing great.

Dale Spalding singing.

Performing I've got Rhythm at the Wednesday night show.

Taking bass lessons from Jerry Hernandez (last name?), Al and Judy Smith.

Listening to RJ Mischo at the Thursday night performance and really
being able to hear his acoustic harp over his electric tone.

Playing the jazz jam both on chrome and diatonic.  Literally getting a
thumb up from Galison.  This is a personal victory.  At Dallas SPAH 5
years ago, Galison ran a jazz critique workshop.  People would play a
song and he would say something nice and some things you could improve
upon.  He said something nice about EVERYONE but me and had a long
list about what I could improve upon.  So seeing that thumb felt real
good.

Of course hanging with friends for a week and hearing great playing!
See you next year!

Michael Rubin
Michaelrubinharmonica.com