re: [Harp-L] I don't want to be a harp player

Sometimes we get lucky. I 'm a barely adequate harp player. I say that in all honesty. I have no illusions about what I play. I have learned to play well enough to sit in with blues bands and I can play some country and bluegrass. Last year I hooked up with a guy who was doing a solo thing, but had previously played in a band that had a harp player. We hit it off personally and musically and he understands (without saying it out loud)  that I am limited, but will work hard to find something in each song that adds to the sound. We play a wide variety of music, as an acoustic trio, and we have our own sound. I am still trying to find the proper volume and how much to play in songs, and sometimes he tells me to be more up front with my harp sounds.
The thing is, we don't really play any blues, but I do know how to make the harp "cry" a little with three draw bends. THere are songs where that works well.
My goal is to find that just right amount of volume and taste. I listen to Jelly Roll Johnson and Mickey Raphael and that's how it should sound, for me. Charlie' McCoy's harp on some country songs is so good it still makes me feel it inside. That is my goal. I can play a little blues, but I just want to play something that makes people feel it.
Steve Webb in Minnesota