[Harp-L] 5th position

I totally agree with the comments on 5th position being more suitable than 3rd for many minor key tunes. I love 5th position and use it frequently for tunes in minor keys and also for pieces where the tonality switches between the parallel major and minor keys. I've found that country tuned harps are absolutely brilliant for this - the raised 5-draw gives you the major 2nd in the minor key (5th pos.) as well as the major 7th in the major key (2nd pos.). This eliminates a bum note (flat 2nd) and gives you a whole additional range of chord sounds as well as a cool bend which can't be duplicated by overblowing. Highly recommended!

Each of the 3 volumes of my Blues Harmonica Playalongs series contains one piece in 5th position (using standard tuned harps) and I've also used it on regular CDs such as my last release with the late great Chris Jones, "Gotta Look Up", where we do a version of Coal Tattoo in Bm/D and I play a CT harp in G.

Steve

Steve Baker
steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.stevebaker.de