[Harp-L] Old Man Looking for a Lighter Amp

I'm asking for amplifier suggestions. I never thought I'd be doing this. I see these requests all the time on harp-l; now it's my turn.

I'm an accomplished blues harmonica player (he said modestly).  I need suggestions for a medium weight, medium power, medium priced tube amplifier.  I usually play through a Shure PE585 ball microphone or an Astatic JT30 crystal mike; both are high impedance and from the 70s.

I finally admitted to myself that I didn't need either of the amps I've been dragging to the small clubs I've been playing in lately.  I'm talking about my '93 Fender Blues Deville, 62 pounds and the loudest 60 watts I've ever heard, and my '62 Fender Concert, a beautiful amp but again too heavy (55 pounds) and too powerful for the rooms I'm playing in.

Another important factor is my age and my back.  Can't lug those amps around like I did.  Here's what I'm looking for:

Power-- anything between 15 and 35 watts
Weight-- anything under 40 pounds
Tubes-- must have tubes
Effects-- don't need any
Tone-- must have it naturally; I don't need or want a "drive channel"
Cost-- My wife's looking over my shoulder.  Can't be a boutique amp or rare old amp

I prefer to control my own volume and tone settings.  I don't want an amp that has to be miked through a P.A.

I'm open to any and all suggestions, and will consider them seriously. If your suggeston meets only some of my criteria, I'd still be interested.

cheers,

wolf kristiansen

http://www.flickr.com/gift/