[Harp-L] Suzuki Fabulous

Just got one of the new Suzuki Fabulous Harmonicas. Right now they are only available in the Key of C, Equal Temperament (which is okay w/me since i only play ET harps). Haven't played it at a gig yet, but here are my first impressions:

The first thing one notices is that this is a VERY heavy harmonica. i prefer metal combs anyway, so I like the heft, but the silver plated brass comb is substantially heavier than the aluminum combs of the Hammond, Promaster or Misterklasse. This doesn't bother me, but it will be a very different feel for those used to playing harps with wood or plastic combs. Tonally, ithe Fabulous is not a bright as a Promaster or Meisterklasse , but it is different from the tone of a Hammond. On the Fabulous, the tone of each note is slightly tighter or more focused than any of my other harmonicas--a little more precise.

I've never played a custom harmonica, but this instrument plays more precisely than any other harp I've ever played. My blow bending technique is a work in progress, but on this harp i easily play all of the blow bends with no problem at all. Also, it's relatively easy to hit all 3 draw bends on 3 hole accurately and consistently without much difficulty, which is remarkable. I'm not sure why this is so, but i am told that these harmonicas have longer reeds than the Promasters and Hammonds. The Suzuki Firebreath also has longer reeds, however, the Fabulous can be played with more accuracy and precision with less effort than any of these other Suzuki models or any Hohner i've ever played. If one isn't bothered by the weight of the brass comb, this is an impressive instrument.

If you have watched the promotional video by Brendan Power on You Tube, he talks about how easily the silver plated coverplates glide through the lips. I thought this was probably just so much hype. But, I was pleasantly surprised.. The coverplates DO move more smoothly across the lips. It is a perceptible (though subtle) improvement.

One complaint, (the same complaint i have about ALL harmonicas): No internal support posts for the coverplates. I guess some custom harps have this feature, but I've yet to find a stock harp that does.

I like this harmonica. Is it worth the price ($199+shipping as a special order from Harmonicas and Stuff)? I suspect the answer to that question will be different for different people, but the quality and performance seems to be commensurate with the price. But someone who has experience with custom harps may be in a better position to answer this question.

DISCLAIMER: I regularly play Suzuki Hammonds for amplified performance and carry Suzuki Firebreaths as spares and to use for occasional acoustic performance. I really like my Suzuki harps, and since I have a strong preference for playing these Suzuki harmonicas I may be a little prejudiced in favor of higher end Suzukis generally. No financial interest, though.

JP