[Harp-L] Suzuki Fabulous

Larry,

Does the Fabulous sound 3 times better than my Hammonds? No. in fact, i may prefer the funkier tonal characteristics of my Hammonds for the sort of music i play (blues, R&B, reggae, rock and, occasionally, some simple jazz). BUT, is my intonation better on the Fabulous? Absolutely, especially on high end blow bends and the 3 separate draw bends on the 3 hole. I'm told it's really facile and precise for overblows, too, but I don't play overblows, so I don't know for sure. i like the heavy metal comb very much, but i prefer metal combs anyway.

If i were playing music that required precise melodic lines or a lot of high end blow bends, the Fabulous would unquestionably be my instrument of choice. But that's not what's required of me when i perform the sort of music i usually play. If i played overblows---I don't, so I don't know for sure--but i suspect i would prefer the Fabulous. It is a very precise instrument that enables the player to more easily play with accuracy. But blues does not require such precision, nor does R&B, which are the genres i most often play. In fact, certain imprecision is part of the aesthetic of the blues idiom.

If i were working from sheet music or tab and was expected to hit each note exactly as written, i would unquestionably want to use the Fabulous. To sit in with a jazz group and play Eddie Harris, Cannonball Adderley, or some Miles material?-- i don't know if i would prefer the Fabulous or my Hammonds---I'll have to try them both and find out.

The Fabulous facilitates playing with a greater level of accuracy and precision than i am used to achieving. What is it that some horn players say when they tune up?---"Close enough for rock n' roll." Well, they wouldn't be saying that about the Fabulous. i guess it all depends on what type of material is being performed and what expectations the player is required to meet. Will i acquire a basic performing set of 7 or 8 Fabulous harmonicas over time? Maybe...I'm not sure, but I'm thinking about it. Do i need an instrument this precise? Probably not for the type of music i usually perform. But, If i had a gig where i had to play parts exactly as written, i'd certainly be more likely to perform up to expectations using a Fabulous.

My conclusion: Maybe not the harp of choice for an open mic blues jam, but it's certainly nice to have the option to use an instrument like the Fabulous when needed.

JP

Still, I have to ask, given the dearth of info, what it is about the
Fabulous that makes it worth $280 (list). .The fact that it sounds good
is really important and if all you use it is for studio work, it will
probably last forever. But as a performing harp, it sounds fabulous-ly
expensive.

-LM