Re: [Harp-L] this amp

Ditto fjm on this.  I too have the silverface Twin Reverb, a 1972 model; the
first year with the master volume but without the evil pull boost.  It is
restored and original except for a pair of Altec 417-8C speakers.  With 100
tube watts it can be VERY loud, but surprisingly good tone can be had by
cranking down the master volume.  The reverb, of course, is lush.  Magic
Dick played through stacked SFTR amps in the 70s.

The big Altec speakers make this monster even heavier.  I dread hauling it
into or out of any venue.  It has new casters but the amp is still just a
beast to load.  I've tried a variety of 6L6 tubes in it, and have settled
on TAD 6L6WGC-STR.  It is a very cool amp, but as I glide toward geezerhood
smaller amps are looking better all the time.  I rarely play the Twin.

I'm finding the same is true in the amp market.  The prices for SFTR amps
are way down.  Nobody wants an amp that big and loud any more.

-Rick Davis
The Blues Harp Amps Blog
http://www.bluesharpamps.blogspot.com/