Re: [Harp-L] AFTER YOU'VE GONE

Case in point: http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=SnkdUPsAles&feature=related

>>> "Rick Dempster" <rick.dempster@xxxxxxxxxxx> 4/12/2008 9:24 >>>
Davy (?) Max (?)
                            I love Django, and own a pile of his stuff.  He plays beautiful lines at any speed. No comparison here I'm afraid. I've heard Jason play some great things, but I didn't like this.
RD

>>> "Davymax" <dmax@xxxxxxx> 4/12/2008 3:26 >>>
Back in 1964 I was given a LP from my Grandfather because I was playing guitar for two years or so and he thought I should get a taste of something beyond what I was learning at the time.

The album? Django Reinhardt & the quintet of the Hot Club of France with Stephane Grappelly. The first song on side two is "After You've Gone"

Now while the head is clearly played by Grappelly for a very short time, after that he takes off and then Django comes in and smokes! I wonder if Rick Dempster or others would consider that doodling. Or, it might be termed as playing a lot of scales and extra notes. I'm certain some would feel that way because they could not comprehend in total.

Needless to say, when I first listened to this great LP with my Grandfather I was floored. I felt as though a window just opened but I was thinking, how the heck was I ever going to play this?? Grandpa said, "Dave, If you practice every day you can be as good as Django". "Start slow and work your way up to it".

Now, back to Jason Rosenblatt's version. I felt he employed some excellent ideas and carried them out well. I too, felt there was a Howard influence.  After all, how can that be a bad thing? If this performance does not meet some expectations of some, perhaps it should be understood that no matter how proficient we become on our instrument or endeavors, ther is ALWAYS room for improvement.

And as for groove, you bet there is a groove. Some people may not be as in touch to hear it and feel it. 'Tis a pity. Where is the meat? Perhaps you could post a responce on this video and ask him. I'd like to see his answer.

As I am listening to this LP as I type, there is a song on it that many of you would or should know. It is "Beyond the Sea". It is performed in a moderate tempo with the melody clearly heard and understood. Of course this beautiful song was redone by Bobby Darin. I wonder if the more swinging version was deemed by others at that time to be "doodling"?

I do wish to thank everyone that posted because it took me back to a time that was special to me, remembering my Grandfather's words and advice. Also, listening to Django in the A.M. is a GREAT way to start the day.

In closing, we cannot all enjoy the same things. That is the beauty of it.

This is just my opinion. No pissing match please.

Good job Jason.