Re: [Harp-L] AFTER YOU'VE GONE-- shtreim

Drum machines, backing tracks, inflatable plastic dolls.......err....sorry...scream of...... uh, I mean, stream of consciousness......
RD

>>> <IcemanLE@xxxxxxx> 5/12/2008 4:37 >>>
Back in the day when drum machines ruled the recording studios (the 80's),
the sterility of drum machines was bugging the musicians. A model was developed
 that had a "human" element that you could dial in - at "0" it was computer
perfect. At "10" it was a sloppy drunk human drummer. The idea was to dial in
a  comfortable level of imperfection to give it a better "feel".

I agree that there is nothing like real humans in real time playing real
instruments. Going out to live gigs (which is few and far between these days in
Central Fl), a lot of the local talent has downsized (dwindling bar budgets,
y'know) - combination of a few live dudes w/computer that has parts sequenced.
 The sound always bugs me - it's like listening to a CD w/a bunch of grown
ups  playing "air" instruments for the visual. There is no drama, no real time
flow.

In a message dated 12/4/2008 12:14:48 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,