From: Rick Dempster <rick.dempster@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] harmoniums and bandoneons
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx, winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Thursday, December 4, 2008, 3:11 PM

You wouldn't by any chance know what that beast Jimmy Shand had made for him
would you Winslow? Or perhaps someone from the other side of the Atlantic might
know...?
RD

>>> Winslow Yerxa <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx> 5/12/2008 6:01

I have to chime in. Jonathan is correct that concertinas and accordions are two
distinct types of instruments in a larger family of "squeezeboxes".
This is not always well understood by casual observers, but is very well
understood by those in the squeezebox community.

The little octagonal concertina you see at Irish jams, etc. and the bigger
breadbox-like bandoneons you see in tango orchestras (and the very
similar-looking Chemnitzers you see in midwestern polka bands)  are all
concertinas. They don't have any chord buttons (as in, press a button, get a
three- or four-note chord), they seldom have registers (different banks of reeds
that can be turned on or off to give octave and tremolo voicings), and always
have the player's hands facing inward with the palms toward each other and
the buttons pointing outward to the right and left of the player. Keys tend to
be in clusters or arrays, not in long rows, so the hand does not travel up or
down the side of the instrument when you play it. Some players claim that there
are differences in reed and reedplate design as well, but this varies with the
type of concertina.

Accordions may have a piano keyboard or a button board on the right hand side.
Either way ,the buttons or keys always point away from the player, and the
player's palms more or less face the player's chest. The low notes are
arranged vertically (and in straight vertical rows with the button boards) with
low notes closer to the player's chin and the high notes close to the laps.
The player's right hand travels up and down the keyboard or button board to
access notes, with the elbow (raised and pointed outward) as the pivot point. On
the  left hand side the buttons are again pointing outward away from the player
and may be as few as 2 or as many as 120. Most include bass notes and chords,
though some are notes only (the so-called free bass used in classical
accordion). Both left and right hand sides may have register switches that allow
different combinations of reeds for tremolo, octaves, or single notes in
different ranges.

A few players, like Norbert Gabla, have successfully hybridized the chromatic
button accordion with the bandoneon - constructed like a bandoneon but with rows
of buttons like a chromatic accordion, placed at a 45 degree angle to allow hand
travel and use of the thumb.

The one-row diatonic button accordion has a right hand side tuned exactly like
a diatonic harmonica (though it may range from Hole 2 through 11 or 3 through 12
of a 12-hole diatonic). It can be fun for a harmonica player to play around with
these, though you have to remember to use your arms to breathe, and have to
figure out how to get the right number of fingers over the range of buttons you
need as the melody travels up and down - not to mention coordinating the right
bass notes and chords with your left hand.

Winslow

Winslow Yerxa