Re: [Harp-L] Smoke-filled rooms?

Jeff --
I am very allergic to cigarette smoke. The only time as an adult that I
could hear myself wheeze was when I got stuck on a smoking car on a train
many years ago.

Thankfully (to me, anyway), the issue of second hand smoke has prompted
states to enact tougher laws regarding smoking. There is no smoking in
restaturants, bars and other places in many states in the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_smoking_bans_in_the_United_States (a
wikipedia link that shows the current status of the various states regarding
smoking bans)

Sometimes I wonder whether I didn't play out more earlier in my life because
of smoky bars. Thankfully, it is easy to avoid cigarette smoke now, at least
in Hawaii. By the way, much of the opposition to the smoking bans in Hawaii
was because of concern about whether tourists from Japan might choose not to
return.

I feel sad that this country (if I understand the history) has exported the
problem to Asia among other places. I recently heard that Europe has
embraced non-smoking, but I haven't been there recently, so I don't know for
sure.

Aloha,
Drew