Re: [Harp-L] National Anthem Help

Josh King wrote:
<I've got an audition in less than 2 weeks to play the US national anthem for
<an NBA game.  I can borrow my sister's karaoke mic and have a VOX DA5 amp
<that I use for my guitar.  I have no idea how to set it right for harmonica.
<I have only auditioned in studios before and never big arenas so I think I
<may need to boost the volume.  My mic is not good with the harmonica but
<maybe it is just me.  I know someone on this list just has to have played a
<place like this.  Does anyone have some ideas to make my audition go better?
<What's the best way to play the song in a big space?  I can post the one I'm
<working on to youtube if you want to judge it.  You can email me off list.

Josh,

Don't confuse the audition with the performance.  You don't need to amplify yourself for the audition.  Just play.  If amplification is necessary after all--if, for example, the people auditioning you want to hear how it will sound through the house PA system--then have them set up a mic on a stand for you and run it through the house PA system.  There is NO possible way that your Vox DA5 amp is going to fill an NBA arena.  It takes THOUSANDS of watts of power to fill an arena.  The team you play for has a PA system to do that job.  Let them set it up for you.

Regarding the audition, practice the piece until you know it cold.  Then when you perform it, hear the song in your head, and play to that.  Both at the audition and the big performance, remember to enjoy yourself.  You want to be able to remember this later.  Before and after you play, no matter how nervous you are or how well you think you played the piece, look right at the audience and smile, so they know you're enjoying yourself too.  Remember that the audience wants you to succeed, because when you do they will enjoy themselves.

Good luck and tell us all how it went, regards, Richard Hunter