[Harp-L] RE: National Anthem Help

Hi Josh,

Wow...an NBA audition, cool!

I just played the National Anthem for a Phoenix
(Arizona) RoadRunners Hockey game.

Big arena! Great sound! They just handed me a wireless
vocal mic. I cupped it close and it sounded good! (I
drew a low chord from my Lee Oskar Melody Maker in E,
which helped the sound man grab the correct volume
before I started the melody. Fun to see myself on the
huge LCD screens above the ice. They mailed me a DVD of
the performance. Multi-camera shots and dissolves over
the digital flag background.

My audition, however, was in a glass-walled lobby, on a
small riser in front of 8-10 judges at a draped table.
That was a vocal mic on a stand, and I stood there with
a big paper number pinned to my chest. 270 auditions,
44 slots. Got interviewed for local television. (I
recorded myself on a small digital camera on a photo
tripod)

In either case, I chose throat vibrato over hand
vibrato.

Dress well. Simple cut solids in pants and shirt that
fit you properly. Not tight, not baggy. You will be
significant simply because you play the harp, and not a
vocalist. Practice smiling if you are not already good
it. (Have a spare harp in your pocket for emergency.)

Robert Hale is the Duke of Wail
DUKEofWAIL.com