[Harp-L] Suzuki Fabulous: Live Performance Test Drive

Just played my new Suzuki Fabulous for the first time at a gig. I sat in with a jazz trio (guitar, upright string bass and drums), playing amplified (EV RE 15 mic into the extra input of the bass player’s SWR acoustic bass amp,( which, btw, has a tube preamp in it-- I’ve played harp through it before and it always sounds surprisingly good.). I used my new C harp on 3 tunes. We played mostly blues material. For whatever it may be worth, my impressions are as follows:

This harmonica is the most responsive, versatile and precise instrument I have ever played. (I’ve been playing for almost 30 years on and off, but I’ve never played a custom harp.) Besides precision bends, and clean tone, I was able to get dirty, funky, distorted tone on the on the low end draw bends. BUT, depending on what I did with mic handling and breath technique, I could also play the same bends crystal clean, or anywhere in between. Any trills, warbles, bends, shakes, slurs, rips, octave stops, split intervals or other techniques/effects that I’m capable of playing could be played easily with whatever tonal presentation I wanted to create—clean, dirty, articulated, slurred, crisp, staccato, legato or whatever.

I usually play Suzuki Hammonds because I like their dark, thick tone and equal temperament tuning. I was able to get that same tone out of the Fabulous if I wanted to, but then I could also play with a thinner brighter tone on demand simply by changing technique. I never use blow bends when performing, but I did during this performance because I was able to hit them so easily . I was able to change presentation to get just about any tonal texture or variation I have ever been able to get out of any other harmonica. In fact, I had to be very careful about maintaining disciplined breath and mic handling techniques because this harp is so responsive. It would readily/easily do whatever my technique told it to, and if I got a little sloppy, the tonal presentation would change unexpectedly. It’s not for beginners.

I play primarily single note lines, I don’t use many chords (I mostly play split intervals instead), and this harmonica is tuned to equal temperament, so I don’t know if it can produce a good traditional “down home” style sound. I don’t play in that style. I play electric with the mic cupped in my hands. I never play Hohner Marine Bands or Blues Harps because I don’t like them. But I do have substantial performance experience over the years with Hohner Special 20’s, Golden Melodies, Pro Harps (old style and MS), Meisterklasse (old style and MS) & Big Rivers, as well as Lee Oskars, and, more recently, Suzukli Promasters, Hammonds & Firebreaths, On the Fabulous I can do anything tonally that I am able to do on any of those harps and more, but with greater ease and precision. It can give me just about any sound or tonal variation I am capable of playing so long as I maintain disciplined technique.

The crowd seemed to like it a lot and the players in the band (all of whom are professionals and MUCH better musicians than I am) all commented on how good I sounded. I consider myself a competent, experienced player with decent technique and good control of my tone, but I don’t do overblows and I do not consider myself to be particularly accomplished. I’m certainly no virtuoso or anything close to it. I have a pretty basic practical level of musical proficiency. Nothing special. But I was astounded by the variety of tone I could get from this instrument playing amplified. I was using no effects and there was no reverb on the amp, yet someone in the crowd came up and asked me if I was using an “electronic harmonica”-- no doubt because of the wide tonal variations and textures was able to achieve during the performance (the band had given me extended solo space, so I was able to stretch out and try things—I did more experimenting than usual since I wanted test drive this new instrument).

I think I will be acquiring set of these harps over time. I don’t play acoustically standing away from the mic, so I don’t know how good the Fabulous would be for that type of playing. If I had to compare it to any other harmonica I’ve played, the Firebreath might be closest, but not that close, because there is so much more tonal variation and precision available on the Fabulous. In general, I have a preference for metal combs, I like Suzukis anyway and I DON”T like Marine Bands, so those prejudices probably factor in to my evaluation.

A lot of you are much better qualified to evaluate this harmonica than I am. But my experience using it for live performance in public was overwhelmingly positive, and since it’s a new model and relatively expensive, I thought it might be of some utility for me to write this review, assuming my subjective impressions are of any interest or value to anyone besides myself.

JP