Re: [Harp-L] Intonation

How does a harmonica player best play in tune?  I am talking here
about a chromatic harmonica where the player primarily plays a
harmonica in one key the whole time, and assuming that the harmonica
is in tune with itself.

For example, say a harmonica player plays with a pianist on a regular
basis, but the piano changes with every different venue.

Should one carry a few harmonicas that are tuned to 444, 442, 440, for
example, and choose the one that sounds best with that piano?

Or does the player just adjust to the situation with shading/bending the notes?

Or all of the above?

Sometimes I find that I don't want to have to bend every note into
tune, but I can do it (with varying degrees of success, depending on
the passage).

Another question:
If the piano is at exactly A=442, what would the best tuning for the
harmonica be? 442? Slightly higher?

Thanks for any insight,

- still have a lot to learn,
Jason