[Harp-L] Re: Bluegrass Harp and the Dixie Flyers

--- On Sat, 12/6/08, PETER OCHALSKI <pochalski@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: PETER OCHALSKI <pochalski@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Bluegrass Harp and the Dixie Flyers
To: "David & Jackie Naiditch" <french10@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Thanks David,

I did read a series of post on Bluegrass jam etiquette and some fascinating accounts by harp-l members and their challenges in various Bluegrass subcultures. The jam etiquette points were all gold, and if they were yours, David, thanks for that resource.

I think basic jam etiquette is similar in all styles of music and I have been particularly dismayed by harp players (particulalry blues harp players) over the years in different jam settings, though I have found that lead guitarist jerks have the advantage in numbers.

At the moment, I could probably make a reasonable accountintg of myself at a blues jam, just playing on auto-pilot, although I think I can aim a little higher than that... As a former "jam slut', I have played in many different muscial contexts and  I have picked up a few things. Blues licks can work in many contexts, but not all. Even on recordings I often hear technically masterful professional players wedge blues licks into musical contexts that to my ear, don't quite work, so it's not just novices. Frequently this occurs on resolving or just-before changes portions of long and otherwise musical phrases in jazzy or pop contexts.  Soca jams taught me that you can't think like a blues harpist, if you're not playing blues.

Most of the players I'm thinking of have reached a higher level of technical proficiency than I probably ever will. My harp pride lies in only one area: I may not add to the sound of a given jam due to limitations of technique, but I won't actively detract from it by playing notes, when rests are what I should be playing.

Anyway, that's why I set my likely Blugrass debut for 2010. I have a lot of work to do before then.

David, I also noticed what you mentioned in your observations about the more eclectic --rather than straight bluegrass-- which is why i'm looking for the Dixie Flyers records. I'm no ecpert, but they sound like bluegrass (rather than OT) to me. I'm hoping also, that because bothe Mike Stevens and the Flyers are form Ontario, where I live, thet local bluegrass communities might be more accepting of harmonica players. We will see. Anyway, Iceman and others, rest assured that I'm making a note of each recommnedation and will check it out. Thanks all.

Andrew