[Harp-L] Customizers and Marine Bands

Reasons why most customizers work with Marine Bands:

The Marine Band is still the most widely used harmonica for blues, and the history of the music is full of classic recordings done on the Marine Band. It has a lot of momentum going for it.

On a purely practical level, if you customize harps, you better be ready to replace reeds. That is 360 reeds if you count 18 keys from lo D to high G, times 20. So you need to have a lot of reeds sorted and ready to go.

Keeping an inventory of reeds for just the marine band is a lot of work. Doing the same for other harps creates whole new levels of complexity. It is hard to get paid for finding, sorting, and storing reeds.

I have tried other harps and there are some great harps out there. I'm just not ready to start going through the process of getting set up to repair a lot of different harps.

I think the manufacturers can make it easy for techs to repair their harps. The question is - do they want to?

Richard Sleigh

shop address:
205 E. Pine Street
Philipsburg PA 16866-1623