[Harp-L] custom harmonicas model vs model vs brand / jt minster

The biggest reason I use Hohners and most specifically the Golden
Melody is because that's *MY* favorite harmonica.  Like many others, I
had phases where I just wasn't happy with anything brand nor model.  I
tried everything that was available at the and always came back to
Golden Melodies.

When I decided to start building harmonicas for anybody who wants to
play the best harmonica possible, I thought I would focus on building
Overblow harps.  From what I have heard from other harp building
friends is they dislike building OB harps.  It's just so happens
that's what I am best at because it's like setting up a harp for
myself, I know how to get every tick, squeal and sound out of every
note. Most importantly, I know how to get rids of those sounds too.
My style of playing demands that I have reeds that are at that finely
tuned to each other and set at the perfect balancing point to get
every nuance and tone out of each reed.  Mostly due to Howard Levy the
Golden Melody has often been thought of as the jazz harp or
Overblower's harp and that's precisely why I focus on Golden Melodies.

Joe Filsko is the guy who really started the custom harmonica
movement. IMO- aside from the Filisko guild the Marine Band builders
build Marine Bands because that's what Joe does.  It don't mean it as
a knock on any builder but it's just something that I see when I see
others follow the leader when working in the same industry. Perhaps
I'm completely wrong.  Joey once told me that he makes Marine Bands
because of tradition.  According to him it's the image of the
harmonica that most of us have in our brains, it's the stalwart or the
old guard of harmonica.  He was largely disappointed that modern day
Marine Bands didn't play as well as the prewar Marine Bands and he
wanted to bring it back to life. In the early days, Joe worked on
making Lee Oskars better and many of his old brass harps have Lee
Oskar plates in them.  He's since only focused on Marine Bands.

Jason Ricci recently told me he prefers to work on Blues Harps.  To me
they are the same thing. I personally choosse Golden Melodies. I can't
speak for other harp builders but what *I* do can be done to any
harmonica brand or model. I've done it to a full set of Huang harps
back in the early 90s. I've done it with Suzuki's, Herrings and I've
recently worked with a huge order of Seydels. What I don't like about
the suzuki's is the welded on reeds.  Replacing them is a pain but it
can be done.

If you want harps that crisp, tight and more responsive than anything
you've played before look no further.

Prices are as follows:
Buddha Harp - $175 - Golden Melody or Marine Band with wood comb set up for
OB/ODs  ie; Jason Ricci, Carlos delJunco, Howard Levy style playing
(wood combs are back ordered at the moment)

Zen Harp - $150 OB/OD harps with stock parts - Available in
sp20/GM/MB/Blues Harp
- The Marine Band and Blues Harp will have screws and a sealed comb.

Lotus Harp - $85 - Available in sp20/GM/MB/Blues
Harp/suzuki/herring/seydel  - A stock harp with minor
reed work done.  Reeds are destressed, gapped and tuned. Slots are
slightly embossed.  These harps are not necessarily set up for OBs.
These are great blues harps.
+$10 for sealed wood comb
+$5 for screws instead of nails.

some suzuki, herring, seydel model maybe more expensive depending on
the base price of the harmonica.

I am just finishing up most of my orders this weekend so the wait time
is minimal again.  Currently, there is a delay with wood combed Golden
Melodies but that is beginning to look minimal again as I just
received another batch of wood combs that I am sealing and drying as I
type.

email me off list to order.