RE: [Harp-L] Re: Question about custom harmonicas

  I am pretty much a hardcore Marine Band fanatic myself, mostly because of the strength/durability of the reeds. These days I play 75% of the time in an acoustic setting and I play hard. The marine band stands up to my punishment pretty much right of the box, and responds to forceful playing with a full sound and great tone. I must admit I haven't played many Suzukis, but the Lee Oskars and Golden Melodies of the world do not respond well to my touch. I bought a Filisko method marine band from James Powers a couple of years ago, and it was a beautiful instrument that lasted far longer than any other harmonica I have ever bought. But even it had the tendency squelch out when I got carried away and played too hard ( which happened a lot)...In short after thirty years of playing Marine Bands right out of the box, I'm still hooked.
Jim Fitting
PS
Hey Steve, we met back in '93 in Hamburg when I was with The the. I hope all is well with you. The Harp Handbook (3rd edition) remains on the top of my reference bookshelf.