Re: [Harp-L] Fender Champ 12 question

Hi Don-

The Fender Champ 12 can be a good harp amp.  But before you start changing
tubes you might fiddle with the amp to see what kind of tones you can get
out of it as is.  Stay far away from the overdrive channel and the mid-boost
pull switch.  They are evil for harp.  I know it sounds counter-intuitive,
but you will get better sound with the clean channel.  Try the usual harp
EQ:  Roll of the highs and boost the lows.  Keep trying different
combinations and see if you can get a warm tone with a little tearing around
the edges of the notes.

If you want to make changes to the amp, I would suggest you first try a
speaker swap.  A Weber Signature 12 Alnico (smooth cone) should be the most
dramatic improvement.  Try a lower gain preamp tube in V1, such as a 5751
or a 12AY7.  The 6L6 power tube may need replacing; they wear out with use,
more than the preamp tubes.  I would not make any further changes to the
amp.

The Champ 12 produces about 10 watts of music power and sounds quite loud.
It has reasonably good reverb, and uses a solid-state rectifier.  There is
no reason it cannot be a good harp amp.

Does yours have the cool snakeskin tolex?

-Rick Davis
The Blues Harp Amps Blog
http://www.bluesharpamps.blogspot.com/