[Harp-L] Harmonica repair instruction from the 1930s

A lot of us talk about guys fixing harps back in The Great Depression. I was looking at my copy of Borrah Minnevitch's "How to Play Harmonica at Sight" from 1933 and noticed something. Now, this is absolutely about as beginner basic a book as you can get it, yet there is a little part about harp repair in it.

Borrah says
"If a reed does not speak, it may be that the reed has accidentally become depressed below the reed slot. To correct the reed, the metal cover should be removed and the reed simply raised above the reed-slot to the correct position with the aid of a pen knife. But great care should be taken to avoid bending the reed or putting it out of tune."

There's also a little part about drying one out, but I didn't feel like retyping that.
Dave Payne Sr.
Elk River Harmonicas
www.elkriverharmonicas.com