Re: [Harp-L] Custom Harmonicas: Rick Epping's Role

Hi folks,

Brendan forwarded to me his original post regarding my work on harmonicas,
asking if he got the facts straight, and subsequently suggested I forward my
reply to harp-l.  Here it is:

-----------------------------
"The facts seem pretty straight.  I left Hohner as an employee in 2005 but
have continued working for them occasionally as an independent consultant.

I described embossing to Joe Filisko, Dick Gardner, Doug Tate and others in
the early '90s, when Hohner's reed-to-slot tolerance had grown too wide for
good performance and Joe and Dick were sending harmonicas back to us as
being unworkable.  We had nothing better in stock to send them so I passed
on the embossing technique to help them through until we could get improved
product.  The project I headed to improve Hohner's reed tolerance began
shortly thereafter, resulting in new reedplate tooling.

Aside from embossing, I described many of the other techniques I used to
work on harmonicas in a series of articles published in Hohner's EasyReeding
Magazine, including gapping, adjustment of reed curvature and tuning, along
with a fair amount of theoretical background to the instrument.

While I may be responsible for some early developments in customizing
techniques, and while a number of players like Dick have for years been
improving chromatics for themselves or for others, I would certainly
acknowledge Joe to be a pioneer in, if not the founder of, the commercial
business of diatonic harmonica customization.  Both a fine player and a
skilled toolmaker, he has what it takes to turn a production harp into a
great musical instrument, as any who have played his harmonicas will readily
testify."

Best regards,
Rick