Re: [Harp-L] The instrument often mistaken for a harmonica

It appears taht the accordina is indded a blow-only instrument, from this page

http://www.accordinas.com/index.php?lg=1&rbq=1

and by implication in Pat Missin's description of a subsequent patent by the inventor of an instrument that was both blow and draw.To have draw notes it would need double the number of reeds and would be much bigger.

By the way, Olivier Manoury's page autoplays an extended studio recording of him playing the accordina;

http://olivier.manoury.free.fr/accordina.html

Ludovic Beier has recorded an entire CD of accordina, which you can sample here:

http://www.gypsyjazz.net/products/cds-portrait-of-accordina.php

One thing strikes me when listening to these players (also true of Galliano) is that while as accordionists they have great facility in getting around on the button board, they do not have a wind player's fine sense of shaping the sound with the viocal tract. A good harmonica player could really show these guys what an accordina could really sound like . . .

 Wanna buy one? Only 1250 Euros:

http://www.accordinas.com/index.php?lg=1&rbq=7

Winslow Yerxa