Re: [Harp-L] Tombo Aero Reed

martin oldsberg wrote:
> Has anyone had any experience with the Tombo Aero Reed?
> <snip>
> I fail to see any advantages with it.
> <snip>
> How does it hold up in terms of longevity?
> <snip>
> The Ultimos I own <snip> are probably the best harmonicas that
> I´ve ever played. Is it just the metal body that is the thing
> with the Aero Reed -- and if so, what´s the intrinsic appeal of
> weight?

I own an Aero Reed, and I, too, don't see anything particularly
innovative about it.  It does seem to be most substantially about
the weight of the solid metal (chromed) comb.  I don't play mine a
lot, since it's not particularly overblow-friendly without a lot of
work, so I can't really comment on the longevity.  In fact, it was
because it was unremarkable that I chose not to invest the time to
make it more compatible with my playing style.  Honestly, I forget I
own it until something like this reminds me.

I also own a number of Tombo Ultimos, and like them quite a lot,
though I'd stop short of calling them the best harmonicas I've ever
played (I own a couple of composite combed Richard Sleigh custom
Marine Bands that probably fit that description).  I've done a lot
of work on my set of Ultimos, and they currently make up my Melody
Maker tuned set that I take to gigs. Some of them see a lot of
action.  I am very fond of their ergonomics, with the low profile
and full-length covers, and recessed reed plates, which gives them a
very comfortable mouthpiece.  They're surprisingly loud considering
the narrowness of the rear cover openings.  Too bad they're so hard
to get in the states.

-tim