  From: Ken Deifik
  To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Sunday, December 14, 2008 11:55 PM
  Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Biopics like Cadillac Records

  Bill reminded us:

    Oh and Round Midnight! - director Bertrand Tavernier, musical direction by Herbie Hancock, who also appears as the piano player, Dexter Gordon in the lead role.

  I totally forgot about that one. I loved it.

  A biopic in that the main character was a combination of Lester Young and Bud Powell, and the music was real - real Dexter G.

  But not a biopic, really.

  There are other great music movies, but shoehorning a fictionalized account of a real and celebrated musician into the biopic form -- I'm gonna rack up a whole bunch of two-hours missing them from now on.

  I may live longer than many who know me consider possible.