[Harp-L] 15 inch speakers for 2 watt tube amp?

Hi all,

I'm playing in a duo with a guitar player. He uses a 50 watt Mesa Boogie amp through a Marshall 4x12 cabinet at moderate volume and I play a DIY mic with a vintage hi-z dynamic element into an unmodified 1956 record players tube amp with 2 watt and a tiny oval speaker about the size of my hand. We like the sound of that setup very much and it gives enough volume for a loud but not deafening musical experience. That thing really has bite without being harsh, and if I let her, she really can sing.

Today Doc Meyer, my guitar player, brought a signal splitter, split his signal and fed the newly gained signal into a solid state bass amp plugged to a 4x10 bass-reflex box to get more bottom end (which in my opinion is a good thing). We're still talking about moderate volume where very loud speaking is sufficient, no need to shout, but i saw my tiny hand-sized speaker confronted with a wall of sound. No chance... So I asked the Doc if he'd let me plug into his Marshall 4x12, just to see what happens. My amp has a seperate output for external speakers, cables were handy, so I tried. I kind of liked it, it had bottom end, though a bit mushy, and it was definitely louder.

Next I plugged into the 4x10 bass-reflex box. Nice Chicago-like sound, less bottom end but still quite loud and aggressive, but the sound didn't fit our tastes.

Then I saw this 2x15 Allsound bass-reflex box in the corner... should I try? I tried. Whow! All those deep difference tones that little speaker never was able to reproduce were suddenly all there, the mids and highs supported the native sound in a similar way as the original speaker, although it was harder to let her sing. Everything sounded so clear, but at the same time warm and round: the perfect sound and I was able to compete again.

And now comes the question: has anybody out there made any experience, good or bad, with an ultra low power amp (< 5 watt) plugged to any kind of 15 inch speakers? After what I experienced today I definitely know that I need such a big thing, but there are more possibilities than just bass-reflex. So, what works, what doesn't? Any feedback is appreciated, though it's no use trying to talk me out of this.

Thanks in advance

Ralf