[Harp-L] Fwd: Fender Blues Jr Amps P.S. (Tube Swaps)

P.S. When i swapped tubes on my BJ, I used the JJ Electronics "Fender Blues Junior Tube Upgrade Kit" sold by Harp Depot and also available from Eurotubes. FWIW, I was totally pleased with the result. Btw, Bob Pletka at Eurotubes is very knowledgeable about tube swaps to voice guitar amps for harmonica. He seems to be a very nice guy and willing to answer questions and make suggestions. i followed his suggestions to retube my Fender Super Reverb Reissue and I was totally pleased with that result, too.
JP

Begin forwarded message:

From: "John F. Potts" <hvyj@xxxxxxx>
Date: December 17, 2008 2:49:58 AM GMT-05:00
To: pfiege@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Fender Blues Jr Amps

I had a Blues Junior, but recently sold it and got a Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue which I like better. The BJ is a nice amp, though. IMO, a tube swap is essential in order to control feedback on the BJ. Personally, I thought the reverb on the BJ sounded a little thin and tinny, so i had the reverb circuit modified and bagged the reverb tank with a reverb tank bag i got from Mojotone. I think the reverb is deeper on the Princeton and i prefer the 10" speaker on the Princeton. I happen to like 10s for harp. The BJ has a12" speaker. The Princeton is significantly more expensive, though.

The BJ is a very versatile little amp. Musicians Friend is presently advertising NOS tweed BJs which came out a while ago as a limited run and are supposed to have a higher grade speaker than the other BJs. If the Princeton Reverb Reissue hadn't come out, I would not have sold my BJ. Both the BJ and the Princeton are louder than one would expect a 15 watt amp to be. The BJ has higher gain, though, as well as separate volume and master volume controls.

JP