[Harp-L] re: Review of Cadillac Records Movie

James wrote: "First of all, in the 1950's there was no Blues Scene outside of the African American Commuity."

  The above is not true, I think. No big deal, perhaps, but: they called it "folk music" back then and it sure had a white audience in the US. Maybe "watered down" blues and so on, but still blues in a not negligible sense.
  Those names you mention are higly relevant -- excepting Lonnie Donegan, adding Sonny & Brownie i. a. -- and the fact that these guys had a white audience in, say NYC, in the 50s and 60s, was one of the reasons someone like Josh White could be very successfully exported to, for instance, Sweden and here -- to a Really white audience (some of us are pale to the point of transparency) -- became the very epitome of "Blues".
  Political situation in the US helped, of course, as you also say.
  The blues underwent a demographic and stylistic shift in the US in the 40s and afterwards, but it didn´t "die", to be resurrected by Mike Bloomfield in 1964.
  Cheers,
  Martin (in Sweden)