Re: [Harp-L] 4 Blow Reed Failures - Is it just me?

Barbeque Bob Maglinte, of  Boston, MA  Said:

<<
Too many players tend to blame the harps, gear, or anything else FIRST
before considering what more often than not is the REAL problem usually is, and
that's playing with EXCESSIVE breath force AKA blowing them WAY too damned hard
ALL THE TIME, which is the single biggest cardinal sin of harp players and a
problem few players are gonna want to admit to. It not only hurst harp
longevity, it also hurts your tone control, control of bends/overblows, kills  your
dynamics, and kills your agility  on the  instrument.

Well, I guess I agree, mostly!

I think it mainly depends on style of music the harmonicist is playing. It
depends on the amplification too.
If the harp player is playing through a small amplifier, and the bass  player
and lead guitar have 200 watt Tube amp stacks... Without a good "sound  man
with a wonderful PA... To be heard at all, the harmonica player will blow  out
several harmonicas every night. It's not "poor technique", it's just the  only
way to be heard in those circumstances.
Back in the '60's (am I really that old?) I bought Hohner short harps BY  THE
DOZEN... And I'd chuck away 2 or three harmonicas at every gig, every  night.
 Then I was using a 100 watt Vox Supreme solid state amp, but I  couldn't
compete with the lead and rhythm guitarists, I simply could not use MY
transistor (STATE OF THE ART... Then!)  amplifier at it's full  power up against their
200 watt 2 x "4 x 12" Marshall stacks. I used  to put the speaker cabs in
front of me, but it would still feedback, before I  could get anywhere near to the
guitarist's volume. Yes just tell the other  musicians to "turn down"... But
they probably won't.
OK I know all about "resonance"... Douglas Tate demonstrated HIS superb
technique during a series of chromatic lessons I was lucky to have enjoyed,  about
10 years ago, here in England. But "resonance"  is just what I'd  always done
any way!
Over the past 4 or 5 years, I have played a series of tours with the  Matthew
Jones Orchestra, (25 piece band) ,mostly playing "Carpenters" and "Dusty
Springfield" tunes,
We had a FANTASTIC sound man. I didn't blow out ANY harmonicas, over  perhaps
200 + gigs and rehearsals.
Earlier this year I played a "Gaelic" style gig, & only the guitar was  amped
up, but there were two powerful fiddles un-amplified. It was a  noisy bar,
perhaps 250 in the audience, and I blew out 2 of my "270" Chromatics  in the one
evening. I was playing loud and unamplified. I KNEW it was too much  air
going through those reeds...
I made the decision TO BE HEARD. It was a CHOICE. Not bad technique.
I can play soft & I can pay loud. I believe that "dynamics" are an  essential
part of good music! The late great Douglas Tate was surprised by just  how
much volume I can get with.. for example my "Renny"...
My point is simply, if you are playing amplified, LET THE AMPLIFIER  increase
the volume. Alow the AMP DO THE WORK!
Should you be lucky enough to be playing a gig with a pro PA system, please
make friends with the engineer!
He (or she) can make or break your performance.
To summarize, it is quite easy to play loud or soft acoustically. It just
takes practice.
Sometimes, one shall abuse ones musical instrument, simply for the effect.
Be prepared  however to replace the reeds! Or buy a new harmonica the next
day. It can be worth it.
Kind regards,
John Walden
London