[Harp-L] Cadillac Records

Just saw the movie and i think it's GREAT! Sure, it's a fictionalized account, with poetic license, apocryphal incidents, etc., but IMHO it's very well done on a number of levels. I thoroughly enjoyed it. And the best part? THE MUSIC NEVER STOPS! The scenes without music are linked by longer scenes with music. The acting is first rate and there is a no bullshit depiction of racial attitudes and dynamics of the times. Very poignant in the post Obama USA.

To better appreciate some of what is depicted and put it into proper context, go to Paul Oscher's website (he was a white harp player from NYC who was hired by Muddy, stayed at Muddy's home in Chicago, and toured with the Muddy Waters Band) and read his stories about what it was like living in the urban Chicago neighborhood where Muddy stayed and being on the road with an all black band in the American South during the pre civil rights legislation era and immediately threreafter. These were posted long before this movie was made.

Beyonce Knowles is phenomenal as Etta James. I've never really paid much attention to her before, but her rendition of "I'd Rather Go Blind" at the end of the film is absolutely riveting, and her acting was surprisingly impressive in a starring role. The conventional wisdom that there are very few complex multi dimensional roles for black actors and actresses in Hollywood is eroded by this movie. Jeffrey Wright as Muddy Waters is very convincing. But Eammon Walker in a relatively limited role as Howlin' Wolf was a show stopper and, unlike Columbus Short, he actually learned how to hold a harmonica.

What about Leonard Chess (who is left out of the film entirely)? Well, maybe he'll become the 21st century Keyser Sose.

Love this movie!

JP