From: Joe Spiers <joemopar@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Saturday, December 20, 2008 6:14:34 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] 4 Blow Reed Failures - Is it just me?

The root cause of your problem is bending the note too far down in pitch,
probably with too much force at the same time. It's physically impossible to
bend the note below a certain point- and that point happens to be very, very
flat (as much as 50 cents) in pitch from the "correct" bent 4 draw pitch. So
it's not only hard on your harps, but what you're playing potentially sounds
out of tune anyway.

Rather than the common lecture on breath pressure, I suggest that you examine
the common licks you use on that hole. You should be able to adjust your
technique (and/or ultimately, note choice) to prevent this reed failure (which
is one of the most common reed failures I see as a technician). Try to
accurately aim for the "correct" bent note- then at least it will have
somewhere to go when playing harder, or while expressing feeling.

If you always suck it down to the "floor" of the bend and wail on it by
default, it's simply more stress than the reeds can tolerate. It's just a
delicate little strip of brass. A little strip of stainless might last longer,
but it's not solving the problem.

Joe Spiers
http://www.spiersharmonicas.com