RE: [Harp-L] was experiment, now just combs

From: Vern Smith <jevern@xxxxxxx>
To: David Payne <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; Harp L Harp L <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, December 21, 2008 2:07:44 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] The Harmonica Comb Experiment

>If you introduce your discussion with a false or controversial premise ("If
>you would like a natural tone") the rest of the statement is irrelevant.

It is false because your test at SPAH, or wherever it was, refuted this for all time?
The side vent discussion went the same way as wood, the accepted theory among the scientific is that they can not make any difference. On my test, the consenus was that I would have had to have it machine blown or something to make a valid test. OK, maybe, whatever. But I don't recall hearing of any machines blowing anything at either SPAH experiment.
I'm not going to make an argument that it does make a difference, but I do take objection to entire posts dismissed because of something like somebody saying "if you want a natural tone..." which is usually taken as if somebody had said "gravity does not exist."

Dave
Dave Payne Sr.
Elk River Harmonicas
www.elkriverharmonicas.com