Re: [Harp-L] Mark Wilson

On Dec 21, 2008, at 5:50 AM, Bill Hines wrote:

I also really enjoyed the cuts on Mark's myspace
Especially since the last one "Me 'n George" is the same exercise I've
been working on in Dave Barrett's Exploring Third Position...

Hey Bill, you're the first guy to catch that, nice job! That's definitely my training wheel exercise. I went to a private birthday party a few years ago, and Rod Piazza was the entertainment. At one point he took a break, and 3 or 4 harp players in the audience got called up, one at a time, and started playing with the band. It was an upbeat swing thing, which I like to listen too, but for some reason, haven't been able to play very well. I thought to myself, If I get called up on this tune, I'm screwed big time. Fortunately, it didn't happen..

On the drive home I began thinking, you're a harp player, you live in CA, and you can't play West Coast style blues! So off I went looking through all my material, and started copping stuff, especially from David. He had it all laid out in his 3rd position book. Two of the chorus's are taken from there, and some of that solo is stolen from one of his youtube videos. So now, I can play the West Coast thing, I just need to take off the training wheels and create my own sound, phrases, and musical ideas, which I'm working on...

Regarding the Gindick/Barrett thing, I've used both guys materials extensively, as well as Tom Balls, and Steve Baker's. All these guys put out great stuff, and I've learned a ton from them all. Right now I'm digging into Winslow's book, which I think is excellent.

I retired from the Jam Camp business earlier this year after 4 1/2 years, and 26 camps, but Jon and I hang out, and are still bud's. It was sad to go, but it was time. Now I'll have time to do some other things, including SPAH, which I'm going to this year after a 4 year hiatus!!

Can you comment on how you cut these....

All were recorded using my Zoom H-4. Typically, I mic the room instead of the amp. I mix in garageband, and add some reverb. I used a Bogen CHB10A on Bring It, a Kalamazoo Model 2 on Me n' George, and a Sonny Jr Cruncher on Cold As Ice. The harp mic I used on all of them is a Astatic T-3 with a CM element..

I'm flattered by all the attention these songs have been getting, and am also a bit embarrassed by it all. I'd like to say, thank you to everyone who sent encouraging comments, both on and off list. I really appreciate it, you guys made my year!!!!!!

Mark