Re: [Harp-L] was experiment, now just combs

The issue here is "begging the question." This relates to the high art of
Argument and Debate (offered by the speech department). It has nothing to do with
anyone preconceived ideas about anything.

When something "begs the question" it does not mean a question   demands (by
its obviousness) to be asked but rather a question that is faulty on its
premise (the way   it is asked). That means the question is not really a question
because it contains a "conclusion" in the question.

"If you want a natural tone" concludes the question by offering a false
premise. Why is it false? It answers the question at the same time it is being
asked.

It may be true that wood indeed provides a "natural tone."    And just
because the question is posed in a faulty manner doesn't mean that it is either
false or controversial.   It's like a non sequitur. Which is Latin for it does not
follow (logically).

The typical newspaper usuage is when the reporter tries to link a bunch of
unrelated facts into one sentence instead of making them seperate sentences.

Born May 1, 1930 in Marksville, La, Little Walter was known for his hits
Juke, My Babe and Mellow Down Easy.

Not doubt about his birth, but   his place and date of birth have nothing to
do with his hits (J, MB, MDE et al). What you have here is 2 separate ideas
and you need two sentences. No a semicolon won't work either.

I will say that the Harp List is turning into a place where someone is always
ready to jump on some idea and quote it out of context.

Personally, I have no idea of any combs are better than others. I have some
of every kind -- including Winslow's discrete -- and they all work fine for me.

No ,I am not a grammarian, but I encountered a bit of grammar in the nearly
40 years I spent in the newspaper business.

You can argue all you want, you just have to state the question clearly.

Hope this clears upp matters.

Phil Lloyd