Re: [Harp-L] Sonny Terry and Finian's Rainbow

L.J. Rose wrote:
I joined your group in order to help research the music for a local
production of Finian's Rainbow, the Broadway show.  The original score
has a long harmonica solo segment written and performed by Sonny Terry,
but I'm unable to track down a recording of that piece (it was a dance
number called "Susan's Dance".)  I've investigated a number of cast
recordings on Amazon, but so far no luck.  If anyone here can point me
in the right direction to a recording,  I'd be very grateful.
-----------

Hi L.J. and welcome aboard.

There was indeed a cast recording made of the 1947 version of Finian's Rainbow, but Sonny only appears on one song, and only plays during the intro of it. The song is entitled "This Time Of Year." The recording dates from March 30, 1947, and was released on a few Columbia 78RPMs (4385M; 4393M; MM686-2.) At one point an LP was also issued (Columbia ML 4062,) and there appears to be a CD reissue here: http://tinyurl.com/finianCD

The flip side of this 78 is by the David Wayne Orchestra and features another, different song from the play ("When I'm Not Near The Girl I Love.")

In the original 1947 Finian's Rainbow Playbill, there is no mention of a "Susan's Dance." However there is a mention of a piece called "Dance o' the Golden Crock," which identifies the dancer as Anita Alvarez, "accompanied by Sonny Terry." This is the only mention of Sonny in the credits, and Anita Alvarez' character is indeed named Susan -- so one might surmise that the two pieces are the same?

Unfortunately though, according to both my own research and to Chris Smith's exhaustively complete book, "That's The Stuff -- The Recordings of Brownie McGhee, Sonny Terry, Stick McGhee and J.C. Burris" (Housay Press, 1999,) no recordings (with Sonny) were ever made of songs called either "Susan's Dance" or "Dance o' the Golden Crock."

If it's any help, in person Sonny often told a story from the stage about playing in Finian's Rainbow, then followed it up with what he said was the song he played -- it was a variation of his famous Hootin' Blues, filled with whoops and hollers....

Good luck and all best wishes,

Tom Ball
Santa Babs
http://www.tomball.us